Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Not the Words, Just a Reminder. . .

     First thing's first:  Tyson is eating, now!!!  Thank you guys so much for your turtle prayers, for those of you who did take the time to send a little request Heavenward.  Tyson is now acting like a normal turtle, and is very lively and curious.  He often will stop swimming if you're watching him, and he'll poke his little head out of the water to stare at you until you leave.  Kinda creepy, but whatever!  Thanks a bunch, guys!

     Second, I am finally getting around to ordering my graduation invitations (because I finally found a cheap place to print them)!

     Third, prom is this weekend.  Just thought I'd mention that.

     Fourth, I got a shot today.  For meningitis, whatever that is.  But anyways, yeah.  Totally useless information.

     And, now, the real reason for this post.  It's a rather sad one.  A big reminder of just how close I am to having my life change forever, how close I am to reaching my next milestone.
     So, yesterday, I had to work, and after that, I went to Tanner's house (whereupon his wonderful mother proceeded to save my life by providing me with access to her computer, printer, and label sheets, on which I printed my address so that I could easily stick them on my graduation invites without fear of hand cramps or misspelled names).  After I had my first drumming lesson--oh yes, I'm taking drumming lessons from my boyfriend, now--and ate some supper, my dad came and picked me up.  On the way home, a song came on the Christian radio station, a song neither my dad nor I had heard in a long time:  Cinderella, by Steven Curtis Chapman.  Not thinking much of it, I began to sing along.  I remembered the song had been the one my sister used for the father/daughter dance at her wedding, and all at once, it hit me, right at the first chorus:


So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

     My throat closed, and I began to tear up.  And then, suddenly, the next verse knocked the wind out of me:

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

     Prom.  It really is just one week away.  I tried to keep singing, even if softly, keeping my face turned to the window so he wouldn't know I was starting to cry.  But he had gone so silent, I knew the exact same things were running through his mind.  I was going to be graduating.  His baby.  The last one to leave the nest, and he didn't want me to go.  I didn't. . . no, don't want to go, either.  I want to stay in this nest forever.  Stay cuddled with Mommy and Daddy, even when the peck at me to do my chores or clean up my messes. . .  



Oh, Mommy, Daddy, please? . . . 
All too soon, the clock strikes midnight. . .
. . . And I am gone. . .


This is Maximum Sunshine, signing off. . . Αντίο και ο Θεός ταχύτητας. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment