Thursday, May 30, 2013

My First Attempt At Some Sort Of Greatness

     So, my lovely roommate messaged me on Facebook about a $1000 scholarship for bloggers.  Well, I blog, and my mother has been harping at me about filling out scholarships for the upcoming year, so I thought "Why not?"  Anyway, I had to write an essay, 1000 words max, but they said shorter was better (weird, right?) so, this was my entry:

     I began blogging as a means of keeping track of the events that happened throughout my life.  I was never any good at keeping an actual, pen-and-paper journal, but I always found it easier to express myself through writing rather than trying to speak my mind aloud.  So, I decided to try online blogging; there was less of a chance for me to get a hand cramp while typing. 
     I latched onto the blog world immediately; I knew people could see what I was writing, but at the same time, I didn't have to see who was reading, or be seen in return.  Blogging became my way of remaining hidden in shadow while I exposed my secrets to the world’s glaring spotlight.
     Upon first glimpses, some of my entries don’t appear to have any real value, and truly, some of them probably don’t; some are just for pure entertainment.  But no matter what the subject matter, every post shares something in common: me.  They all contain bits and pieces of me that I want the world to understand. 
     Some posts possess my sarcastic and witty side, shining a giant floodlight on my more humorous strands of thought.  Other posts grip tightly to my serious self, slowly exposing the very fibers that serve as the base for my humanity. 
     In everything I write, you will find something of me there, whether it be my anger, my joy, my sorrow, or even my laughter.  It’s all laid out for others to read and make of it what they will.  Maybe some will see a bit of themselves reflecting back at them from my words.  Or maybe they will find a window, out which they can peer and finally make sense of something they previously couldn't understand.

     Blogging for me may have begun as a way for me to keep track of my own life, but it has quickly escalated into my way of presenting who I am, so that others might understand me—and perhaps even themselves—a little better than they did before.


     Well, what do you all think?  (Leave me a comment!)

     Now, this scholarship is unlike many in the fact that you, lovely fans, are the ones who will decide my fate.  Yes, that is right, you will be voting on whether I should win this scholarship or not.  Now, the voting does not begin until this coming November, on the 14th, and it ends specifically at noon Pacific Time on November 27th, which will be 2:00 pm Central Time.
     Of course, you will forget all of this by the time November rolls around, but I will send out another post, reminding you to vote.  From what I read on last year's winner's blog, you can vote once per day during the allotted voting time.  As I said, I will remind you all of this when the time comes.

     I figured I would at least attempt this scholarship, because it seems pretty up-my-alley, if you know what I mean.

     If you blog, and would like to enter for a chance to win this scholarship...jeez, I sound like one of those "Enter To Win!" commercials on TV..."Just call this number, and you can be entered for a chance to win a trip to blah, blah blah!".....here's the link:
http://www.collegescholarships.org/our-scholarships/blogging.htm

     Thanks again, Shannon, for sending this to me!
This is Maximum Sunshine, signing off.  Αντίο και ο Θεός ταχύτητας.

No comments:

Post a Comment