Friday, July 10, 2015

Hmm, I Can't Seem To Find My Way Through These Cobwebs...

     Let me just, uh, brush away some of these cobwebs that have collected in all the, ah, nooks and crannies of this blog . . . *power washes hypothetical walls and windows*
     Ah, there you guys are!  Readers, oh readers, where have I been?  I'm sure that's what you've all been wondering, and if it's not, well . . . I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend it is.
     5 (or so) months.  A lot has happened in that time.  Well, not really.  I mean, a few things have . . . Okay, I'll just start kind of where I left off from last time.

     So, the end of the school year could not have come faster, and yet when it did come, there was one thing I wasn't ready for: saying farewell to some graduating friends.  I hadn't realized how many chums I had who were leaving until I saw them walking up to receive their diplomas.  Talk about rough.  I was a wreck.  And that's putting it mildly.  But, I figured I better adult-up, put on my big girl panties.  I have a car; it's not like I'll never see any of them ever again.  I actually drove a couple hours to another town to hang out with one of my closest friends who walked the walk that day.  I met a couple of his high school buddies, and we played pool (by which I mean we goofed off and hit balls around on the table) and then played several games of darts, which I am awful at, by the way.  That poor basement wall . . .

     Sort of off topic, although still on the topic of school-related things, how is it that, as college students (if you're not a college student yet, you will understand soon) that we manage to accumulate so much crap?  I started off this last school year great; I hardly brought anything with me.  I could still see out the back window of my Mountaineer, as opposed to the year before, when I had things stacked to the ceiling.  And yet, when I finished packing up my car at the end of the semester, I had not only filled it to the ceiling, but I had filled up my front passenger seat, as well.
     Now, my room at home is smaller than my dorm room.  And while a dorm room is totally empty except for a bed before you put your stuff in there, my room at home already has junk that has built up over the 17 odd years I have lived here.  So, needless to say, it's July, and over half of my things from school are still in my car because I have nowhere to put them.  When I move out next summer, I'm going to need a U-Haul.  No joke.

     On a bit of a sadder note, right after school got out, I was staying the weekend in town to do some filming for a friend's short film (ugh, the end of that sentence sounds horrible) when my dad called me.  My horse, whom I'd had since I was five, colic-ed and died earlier that week.
     That's him.  Badger.  This was one of my high school senior pictures.  So, for those of you who don't know what colic is, in regards to horses, anyway, it usually has to do with blockage of the intestines, which can be deadly.  If it is caught in time, death can usually be prevented.  However, by the time my parents found Badger, it was too late; they ran to call the vet, but when they came back, he was gone.  That was a huge blow for me.  He was my big, obnoxious, spirited, racing baby.  Requiescat in pace.

     In brighter news, as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I am starring in a short film called Crosswords.  We even have our own IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4597482/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1  We're entered into a little competition called Flat Water Terrors Volume 1.  I won't say too much more about it until it comes out, but we just finished filming about a month and a half ago, so . . . fingers crossed.

     In not so exciting news, I lost my big toenail.  Apparently I killed it before school let out, and it decided it wanted to try and fall off during my vacation to South Carolina last week.  It hasn't actually fallen off yet, but I have to be careful not to catch it on anything and accidentally rip it the rest of the way off.  I'm mad about it, too, because my sister gave me a pedicure before our trip, and the polish is really cute.

     Now, I've just been working all summer, but June 27, I headed to South Carolina for a week for my sister's birthday.  We stayed on Kiawah Island, which was beautiful, despite being full of yellow silk banana spiders that hung in front of all the windows . . . 
     Although they were huge and creepy, they were completely harmless, and because of them, there were hardly any mosquitoes around.  I didn't get bit by a 'skeeter once.
     We were a ten-minute bike ride from the beach, which was awesome.  Uhm, I got roasted like a peanut the first day I was there (and am now peeling), because I laid out in the backyard next to our private pool (we had rented a house for the week; wicked amount of space).  Mostly, we stuck around the house or the beach.  Charleston was about an hour away, so we dedicated one whole day to going there and to surrounding areas.  We visited Drayton Plantation, which was awesome, and then went to a place called Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island.  My sister is obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe, and apparently, once upon a time, he was stationed in Charleston for several months.  His stay there inspired him to write The Golden Beetle.  And so, they dedicated a pub to him.  And you know, Nebraska is the king of beef, but Poe's Tavern had some darn good burgers . . . which were also enormous.  They had to be 3/4-1 lb patties.  De-licious.

     And really, there hasn't been much else going on.  Well, I'm sure there has been, but I just can't think of anything right at the moment.

     This is Maximum Sunshine, signing off.  Αντίο και ο Θεός ταχύτητας.

No comments:

Post a Comment