Monday, February 2, 2015

Love Is A Simple Enough Term (CAUTION: Rated M for Mature Audiences Only: Language)

     I thought it only existed in fiction.  By it, I mean the phenomenon known as the Hero Complex, or "hero syndrome."  Or, if you prefer, we college kids like to refer to it as "someone-with-a-huge-ego-trying-to-act-tough-and-ending-up-acting-like-a-complete-asshole" syndrome.   Considering the amount of focus it took to type that last one out, I'll refer to this complex hereon-out as the H.C.
     I had met people with cases of the H.C., but never to this extent.  I think that's why I almost didn't classify it as such; I just thought this guy had several too many nuts and bolts loose in his brain.
     Okay, maybe I should explain; a little back-story, if you will:

     So, there is a gentleman that attends my college who has a crus---nonono, let me phrase it a little more realistically---who is infatuated with me.  At first, I was like, "Whatever, this too shall pass," and whatnot.  I let him know how incredibly unavailable I was (me = ENGAGED), and for a lovely moment, we were driving down "Just Friends" lane.
     Then, yesterday, during the Super Bowl game, we somehow managed to get into a texting conversation (okay, more of an argument) about my freedom, and how I need to live my life before settling down.

     . . . I'm sorry, what?  I've known this guy for maybe two months, and he thinks this is okay?  Here's where I thought he'd lost some bolts and nuts.

     Guy-Whom-I-Shall-Refer-To-As-KENNY: (paraphrased) I just don't think you've really lived your life yet.  I just wish I could be the one to show it to you.

     Again . . . What.  The.  Hell?

     KENNY: And you deserve to be told how beautiful you are, all the time.  You deserve the best.
     ME: I have the best; I am told how beautiful I am every day by my fiance.  Also, I think your definition of "living life" and my definition are very different.

     This next part got me so mad, I almost chucked BBQ wieners and cheese dip across my sister's living room:

     KENNY: Doubtful.  I just believe you neglect to understand what living really is.  I understand your version, of getting a degree and being a productive member of society.  But your heart wants something you can never explain.
     ME: Excuse me, but my living, unlike what a lot of people get stuck with, is not now, nor ever will be, inhibited by marrying my best friend.  I'm still as free as I want to be.  My fiance and I don't control each other.  So, no, I don't believe our definitions are the same.
     KENNY:  My apologies, I did not account for different perspectives.  You are a unique woman who deserves unique treatment.  I was merely implying I wish to provide that.  I understand your limitations and circumstances.  You are a lady of morals and judgement, and I sincerely approve of this behavior.

     I want to punch this kid in the face, so hard.  Yes, I said want; the urge has not passed.  If he approves of my behavior, then maybe he should take it as a sign that I'M NOT INTERESTED.

     KENNY: You haven't lived the experiences I have or realized the things I have, so it's impossible for you to respect the qualities that I do as a person.
     ME: You know, that's a two-lane highway; it goes both ways.
     KENNY: True, I guess I am a bit conceited in that respect. Maybe I just really wish to give you one night of pure freedom.  As odd as it sounds, I just want to leave this world knowing I made a difference in your life that you'll remember.

     Oh, he definitely made a difference; I've honestly contemplated committing acts of violence against him since this conversation.  Pure freedom?  Here is where the Hero Complex was made clear to me.  To put it frankly, shit about hit the fan.  Along with tortilla chips and my cell phone.

     ME: My freedom lies with my fiance.
     KENNY: I commend your loyalty.
     ME: It's not just loyalty.

     KENNY: I know, it's deeper than that, but, in simple minded terms, that's what it is.
     ME:  I think love is a simple enough term.


     That ended the conversation.

     Now, I have several things to say about this.
1.  KENNY has never met my fiance.  Therefore, he has no damn right to tell me I deserve "better."  I already have the best.
2.  I am ENGAGED.  What part of that doesn't he get?
3.  Much earlier in the conversation, KENNY referred to me as "a dame that needs saving."  I am no dame; I do not need salvation from a pretentious, obsessive, egotistical asshole who thinks he's every girl's knight in shining armor.
4.  KENNY got one thing right: I am a woman of good morals and judgement.  But clearly, he doesn't understand that that means he would never have a chance with me, even if I was single, because he's so full of himself, it's nauseating, and he is borderline insane.
5.  As far as me "living life," KENNY does not get that "settling down" is how I want to live my life.  I thought I made that pretty obvious.
6.  Another thing I thought was clear: I'm in love with my fiance.  No one else.  And he better get the fuck over it.

This is Maximum Sunshine, signing off.  Αντίο και ο Θεός ταχύτητας.

P.S. Sorry about the cursing. (Mom, I love you.)

3 comments:

  1. ah, all is forgiven....just try not to make it a habit. :) (I love you too) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a guy who needed shut down. Way to go Max. Some people don't understand the word "NO". Sometimes being blunt with people is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you. ....way to stand up to the jerk! He obviously does not get the fact that you and Tanner are each others " everything"

    ReplyDelete