Thursday, November 28, 2013

Being a Collegian: Not That Fun

     My last post was . . . what, beginning of last month?  My apologies, readers.  I've been trying to be a better student.  That is, I've been trying to stop procrastinating on my work as much.  Which means, more time with my nose in uninteresting, required books and writing papers, and less time doing the things I actually enjoy, like sleeping, and working on my book, and writing to all of you lovely people.  However, seeing as how I am on Thanksgiving break and I am putting off all scholarly responsibilities until tomorrow, I thought I should probably check in with you all to let you know that school has not completely sauteed my brain, and I am still a (semi) functional human being.

     So, what is new with me?  I have officially changed my major from Studio Art to English Writing.  I know, you're probably thinking "Gee, Maximum Sunshine, why didn't you just do that in the first place instead of changing majors twice?!"  To answer that question that you didn't really ask, let me explain my journey.  In short, I wanted to be an art teacher, author on the side.  Then, I realized:  Max, you do not have the patience to teach anyone anything.  Period.  So, I thought, fine, I'll just be an artist, author on the side!  And then, I realized:  I don't want to be an artist.  That whole living like a hermit in some crappy studio apartment, surviving on Ramen and macaroni, and constantly inhaling paint and/or other artist-y fumes held absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever.  (Keep in mind, the above statement was a bit of a stereotype, but a lot of artists do start out that way).  On the other hand, living secluded in some crappy studio apartment, surviving on Ramen and macaroni, and constantly inhaling the musty smell of old books and paper sounds like Heaven on earth to me.  Art is more of a hobby for me, a way to just kinda play around.  Writing?  It's what I've wanted to do my whole life.  Except for the few years (when I was six) where I wanted to be a veterinarian, but that is beside the point.
     So, why did it take me until my Sophomore year of college to decide to major in my dream field?  (In my defense, some people take until their senior year to decide what they want to do, so I'd say I'm in a pretty good spot).  For one, college is about making your own life choices.  You're supposed to experience new things.  Changing my major a couple of times just made it that much more clear what I should be doing:  writing.  It's what I love, and it's who I am.  And, as my adviser in the art department told me, I am an excellent bulls**tter.  I'm not sure if that was meant to be a compliment, but I took it as one.  In writing, if you can bulls**t, that's a good thing.  Just as long as it's intelligent BS, and not just a bunch of poppycock.

     Next year, (as in Fall 2014) I'll be getting an apartment with three of my friends off-campus.  I'm excited, but at the same time, nervous.  Why?  Money, my dear Watson!  Sorry.  I'm writing a paper on Sherlock Holmes for my Topics in Lit. class; it's rubbing off on me.  Anyway, I'm worried about not being able to pull my weight when it comes to rent, utilities, and other that other good stuff included in living off-campus.  I only have a summer job, and I'm not sure if I could handle a job during the school year, along with trying to juggle beginning and finishing my new major in time to graduate in 2016, like I originally hoped.  Without a job in the picture, I can finish the new major in time, but it'll still be a pretty hectic schedule.
     So, you see my dilemma.  But, I'm trying not to stress about it.  Especially right before finals week.  There's enough stress around campus near the end of the semester to fry the brains of eighteen elephants, thirteen hippos, nine giraffes, and a Norwegian Ridge-back (Harry Potter reference, anyone?)  If you hadn't noticed, finals week has already begun to take its toll, and it hasn't even started yet.  For crying out loud, I'm talking about the frying of animal brains.  I'm so ready for a month-long break for Christmas. . .

     Other than that, nothing really all that stimulating has happened to me since I last posted.  Although, I'm back on Pinterest, pouring over rings, decorations, flowers, dresses . . . basically just all things wedding-related.  The other night, my roommate and I were watching Four Weddings.  That is what initially got the metaphorical ball rolling for my matrimony-infused Pinteresting.  It doesn't help that Tanner keeps teasing me (only lightly) that he knows exactly when he's going to propose to me.  We have the wedding planned for June, 2016, after I graduate.  So, you see why I am so eager to get done with school by then.  I don't really want to put our wedding off another year, especially since Fall 2017, we plan on moving to a bigger town, so Tanner can get his architectural degree at another school.  But anyway . . . yeah.  My mind is running on wedding things.  I technically only have during the summertime to plan and prepare, since I can't do it during the school year very easily.  Two summers.  That's all I have left to plan and prepare. -cue goosepimples-

     All right, I have to crash.  My schedule for tomorrow is filled with collegiate activities.  Yay for me.

This is Maximum Sunshine, signing off.  Αντίο και ο Θεός ταχύτητας.

No comments:

Post a Comment